Cashew chicken – Our healthy take on this all time favorite
For us here at the office one of the go to snacks are always cashew nuts. Whether they are covered in dark chocolate or the peri-peri kind, we just cant get enough. So, if you add in our favorite protein, chicken then you have the entire office drooling. We thought we couldn’t keep this to ourselves, so we cooked up a batch. Here is our healthy take on Cashew chicken.
What you will need
For the stir fry
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 large), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (or substitute arrowroot powder if you are anti starch)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets (about 4 cups)
- 1 bunch green onions (about 6 medium), thinly sliced
- A good couple of mushrooms (depending how much you like mushrooms obviously)
- 2/3 cup dry roasted, unsalted cashews
- Cooked brown rice or quinoa, for serving
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey, plus additional to taste
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus additional to taste
- In a small bowl or large measuring cup, stir together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons honey, ginger, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
- In a separate bowl, toss the chicken pieces with the cornstarch, salt, and pepper.
- Heat the oil in the wok over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot and starting to smoke a bit, add the chicken mixture and cook for 4 minutes, just until lightly browned. Add the peppers, broccoli, mushrooms and green onions. Continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 or so minutes. Stir in the cashews and toss around to get them mixed in.
- Pour the sauce over the stir-fry and toss to coat.
It was definitely a hit in the office. You could see the mouths watering when the got a whiff of the heavenly scent of cashew chicken. The quinoa was a nice addition, being so high in protein, it was super filling. Giving us all the energy for tomorrow monster workout!
Why not give the recipe a try and let us know what you think in the comments below.
How to get fit – Cashew chicken