A Low Carb food list – Change your lifestyle
A low-carb diet is a lifestyle change that restricts carbohydrates. The below examples for a low carb food list consist of Low Carbs and high fats and protein. The bad stuff is found in sugary foods, pasta and bread.
There have been numerous studies regarding the LCHF lifestyle, they all have come to the conclusion that this Low carb diet aids in weight loss and energy provision.
The Low Carb food list
The foods you eat and the portions thereof will be determined by many factors. How healthy you are, how much weight you want to lose and how much you exercise. Please keep in mind, that these are merely guidelines and you should eat how much makes you feel comfortable and full.
What should you stay away from
- Sugar: Soft drinks, fruit juices, agave, candy, ice cream and many others.
- Gluten Grains: Wheat, spelt, barley and rye. Includes breads and pastas.
- Trans Fats: “Hydrogenated” or “partially hydrogenated” oils.
- High Omega-6 Seed- and Vegetable Oils: Cottonseed, soybean, sunflower, grapeseed, corn, flower and canola oils.
- Artificial Sweeteners: Aspartame, Saccharin, Sucrose, Cyclamates and Acesulfame Potassium. Use Stevia instead.
- “Diet” and “Low-Fat” Products: Many dairy products, cereals, crackers, etc. As they have insane amounts of sugar added to compensate for the loss of fat.
- Highly Processed Foods: If it looks like it was made in a factory, don’t eat it.
Take some time and start to look at food labels. It is all about making the right choices.
What you should eat instead.
These whole foods are unprocessed and should be the base of any good diet plan.
- Meat: Beef, lamb, pork, chicken and others. Grass-fed is best.
- Fish: Salmon, trout, haddock and many others. Wild-caught fish is best.
- Eggs: Omega-3 enriched or pastured eggs are best.
- Vegetables: Spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots , asparagus, cabbage, celery, Zucchini, Tomato, onions, mushrooms, lettuce, beans, eggplant, peppers, squash and brussel sprouts.
- Fruits: Apples, oranges, pears, blueberries, strawberries.
- Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
- High-Fat Dairy: Cheese, butter, heavy cream, yogurt.
- Fats and Oils: Coconut oil, butter, lard, olive oil and cod-fish liver oil.
If your main goal is to lose weight, try not to eat more than 1 portions of fruit a day and watch out how much cheese you consume.
If you are doing this as a lifestyle choice and are not aiming to lose weight then you can have the below foods on the odd occasion. Remember, too much of something can be bad.
- Potatoes, sweet potatoes and some others.
- Non-gluten grains: Rice, oats, quinoa and many others.
- Legumes: Lentils, black beans, pinto beans, etc.
The below two favorites are for a definite sometimes when it comes to a Low carb food list.
- Dark Chocolate: Choose organic brands with 70% cocoa or higher.
- Wine: Choose dry wines with no added sugar or carbs.
Both dark chocolate and alcohol will hinder your progress if you eat/drink too much.
Things you can drink.
- Sugar-free carbonated beverages, like sparkling water.
- A Sample Low-Carb food plan for 7 days.
This Low carb food plan supplies your body with less than 50 grams of total carbs per day, if you are healthy and active you can go beyond that.
- Breakfast: Omelette with various vegetables, fried in butter or coconut oil.
- Lunch: Grass-fed yogurt with blueberries and a handful of almonds.
- Dinner: Cheeseburger (no bun), served with vegetables and salsa sauce.
- Breakfast: Bacon and eggs.
- Lunch: Leftover burgers and veggies from the night before.
- Dinner: Salmon with butter and vegetables.
- Breakfast: Eggs and vegetables, fried in butter or coconut oil.
- Lunch: Shrimp salad with some olive oil.
- Dinner: Grilled chicken with vegetables.
- Breakfast: Omelet with various vegetables, fried in butter or coconut oil.
- Lunch: Smoothie with coconut milk, berries, almonds and protein powder.
- Dinner: Steak and veggies.
- Breakfast: Bacon and Eggs.
- Lunch: Chicken salad with some olive oil.
- Dinner: Pork chops with vegetables.
- Breakfast: Omelet with various veggies.
- Lunch: Grass-fed yogurt with berries, coconut flakes and a handful of walnuts.
- Dinner: Meatballs with vegetables.
- Breakfast: Bacon and Eggs.
- Lunch: Smoothie with coconut milk, a bit of heavy cream, chocolate-flavoured protein powder and berries.
- Dinner: Grilled chicken wings with some raw spinach on the side.
If you are active and these meals tend not to full you as you would prefer, you can top them up with as much low carb vegetables as you wish.
What you think of this diet? Tell us in the comment below. If you want to check out some more diets, you can see them here.